[CAUT] How much voicing on new NY hammers

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 18:25:12 MDT 2010

 Paul asks:

Quick question;  how much voicingis typically needed on the new NY hammers for our D?  I have a verysmall window to put a set on our D in the main hall.  They're pre-hungand I have them here in the shop.  The project starts tomorrow.

   I have never found anything "typical" with the factory hammers.  Some of them I've used were marshmallows while others sounded angry, right out of the box, soo.....  be prepared to soak them with 4:1  (I know, I know, there are different weights of solids, but we have to start somewhere), or do the mysterious accupuncture demanded of this style of voicing.  If the power continues to increase as you play them harder, you may want to give them a week or so of use and see if some brilliance develops at the softer volumes.
good luck,

Ed Foote RPT