[CAUT] cutting departments

Christopher Purdy purdy at ohio.edu
Wed Oct 13 21:07:15 MDT 2010

I feel your pain, I was cut to part time this summer after 19 years at OU.  I've gone through the denial, anger, and depression.  But the up side is that I have been busier than ever since then.  My outside work is doing well plus I've picked up a couple of other part time gigs.  It's not what I thought I'd be doing at this stage in my life but so far I've covered the mortgage every month.

Just remember, when one door closes in your life, another door opens up.  (just be sure not to get your hand caught in the door as it slams shut)

Chris

On Oct 13, 2010, at 10:49 PM, Ron Koval wrote:

> I'm in that category now...
>
> I got my letter from the public school board a few weeks before school started telling me not to come in for the beginning of the school year.  I've been
> a full time instrument repair tech for 26 years for a large performing arts high school in Chicago.  The principal and chair still have hope of getting at
> least a part time position with benefits starting soon.  I consider myself lucky that I had a database to dig back for tuning contacts - it would've been
> pretty bleak without having done part-time tunings all these years.
>
> I only do a couple of days a month at the university...  I may have to go into "full hustle" mode now to get enough work to keep busy.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Ron Koval
> Concordia U

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.