[CAUT] Bass string & Aliquot bar contact noise

Robert Callaghan robert.callaghan at harmonicity.com
Sat Oct 16 12:43:09 MDT 2010

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on eliminating the "zing".

Our PTG chapter members put our heads together and still couldn't
eliminate the mystery noise. We removed the damper wires on both sides
of the bichord (the highest one before the break), there is plenty of
clearance between the string and the bridge pins and bearing bar
underneath, the strings have been replaced, the bridges and notching
look good, the string's bridge pins are tight.  It seems very unlikely
that the new strings would be flawed too, so we could find no reason for
this noise.  It is a Grotrian grand and has a beautiful sound with all
types of playing except this one note on heavy playing. I began to
suspect the bridge cap, but this sound is metallic. We all agreed it
sounded like it was coming from near the back of the piano. The only
clue left is when we plucked the string upwards it didn't make the
sound, plucked sideways it did. It's beginning to seem the only solution
is just stop playing fortissimo!

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======