[CAUT] Bass string & Aliquot bar contact noise

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Oct 16 13:51:27 MDT 2010

On 10/16/2010 1:43 PM, Robert Callaghan wrote:

> It is a Grotrian grand and has a beautiful sound with all
> types of playing except this one note on heavy playing. I began to
> suspect the bridge cap, but this sound is metallic.

Three things. Is the slant of the speaking length bridge pin around 20°,
or nearly vertical? Is the string offset angle across the bridge top
around 10°, or nearly straight (I'm guessing nearly straight, from the
description)? Is the downbearing angle there positive, if there is any?

Sounds to me like the string is slapping the bridge pin from lack of, at
least, side bearing.
Ron N