[CAUT] How long is too long?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:51:04 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I've been working tons on the D with the Steinway hammers that we
previously blogged about last week.  Regulation went flawlessly and plays
like a dream after a full day of fine regulating in the piano after bench
regulation as far as I wanted to go.

Now, I've gotten into the voicing.  Just a bit yesterday after regulating
everything in the piano, so I basically just listened to the overall and
juiced the top two octaves and the bottom 7 or 8 bass notes for bite and
let it go at that.

Today, the top is still very weak and the bass is pretty nice.  I spent 4
hours in the middle and "middle" killer area and got a tone quality that I
think will be quite nice.  However, after 4 straight hours of poking,
listening, poking, listening, poking and listening, I couldn't tell any
longer what I was listening to.  Have you all run into this situation?

How long will you sit and voice at one sitting? I even took a break,
plugged in a Rubenstein CD, checked out the Lied Center's D (that Steve
Schmidt worked on last year)...just to give me reference, but on the 4th
hour, I had to knock it off, juiced the top section a second time and
called it a day on that.

Thanks for inputs.

Paul