[CAUT] How long is too long?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Oct 19 14:58:26 MDT 2010

  I prefer to voice in short sessions, preferably with people performing
or practicing some in between. I particularly like being able to hear
the piano in the concert hall in between, so I can see what is really
coming out instead of just how the piano sounds when I'm right in front
of it.

I think I end up with better results from several short sessions, plus
it's a lot less stressing to know I'll have plenty of opportunities to
go over things again later. Besides, voicing is constantly changing as
the piano is in use.

Of course you have to voice more thoroughly with new hammers, but even
there I wouldn't want to do it all at once, if the people playing on it
can be educated/persuaded to put up with voicing as a process instead of
an event.

Susan Kline