[CAUT] How long is too long?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Oct 20 13:24:27 MDT 2010

Thank heavens, Alan! When I read your first sentence, I thought I might
have written something unforgivable ... <grin>

I totally agree about voicing. Also, I think that we are sometimes so
eager to keep our work on the highest possible plane that we lose sight
of what those playing the piano will really think, what will really
matter to them. Not that we shouldn't keep trying, but sometimes a piano
is good-enough-for-stage-one, knowing that over time we can make it
better as it reacts to being played, but that right out of the door from
a major change we can only get so far with it.

Sometimes I worry that trying to get new hammers "finished" before they
have been played in might narrow the possibilities for tonal development
and lessen their  lifespan. But then, I haven't followed enough sets
through the whole process, so this just remains a suspicion. In these
days of budget struggles, anything we can do to keep pianos and parts
lasting well should be done, IMO.

Susan Kline