[CAUT] Friday puzzler: Won't play on hard blow

Edward Sambell esambell at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 19:34:45 MDT 2010

Could the jack be getting trapped between the knuckle and the felt in the end of
the repetition lever? Try reducing aftertouch with a shallower keydip. Also, if
a nearby hammer moves under a heavy blow, the balance rail may need re-bedding.
Test by placing one's free hand on the keys at the balance rail about an octave
distant from the offending notes. There should be no feeling of movement when
the notes are struck. However, if this is a problem, it is unlikely to result in
the one being discussed.

Ted Smbell