[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 3 16:52:15 MST 2011

Patrick-

What do you know about tallow buckets?

If you have some old Steinway parts, try microwaving them for a minute (removing all pins and screws), and you will find that some of them (the dark brown, waxy looking parts, especially) exude a puddle of wax. Smells and behaves like candle wax.

I have some 1888 Steinway parts, which have no verdigris, and which leave only a very tiny bit of moisture, non-waxy, when microwaved. The action rails of this piano are not green with verdigris. There are green marks on the brackets where the leather shims for the sostenuto brackets touched the brackets.

Ed Sutton