[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu
Mon Jan 3 21:28:54 MST 2011

My old mentor was extremely eccentric, but back in the 70's he knew someone at the factory who he had the odd phone conversation with when he had a pressing question.  He always insisted that the factory literally dipped pinned centers in a combination of mutton tallow and paraffin in those years, and this was the direct cause of verdigris.  This would explain why it comes bubbling up out of the wood given enough heat--even at a point on the hammer flange farthest away from the actual center.

Greg Granoff
Humboldt State University