[CAUT] Humidity Damage

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:07:23 MST 2011

On Jan 3, 2011, at 9:28 PM, Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu wrote:

> He always insisted that the factory literally dipped pinned centers
> in a combination of mutton tallow and paraffin in those years

That makes sense. The paraffin accounts for the stiffness/solidity of
the bushing cloth, something in the tallow for the eventual
stickiness. Seems like Steinway was after "firm and free" for a long
time. I wonder if dipping in paraffin alone leaves the flange frozen,
so adding a grease makes it free (initially)? Maybe I'll find the
occasion to experiment (next time I'm melting paraffin). I 'd guess
that dipping in paraffin alone would be likely to freeze it just
because some of it would solidify between the wood of the flange and
the shank, so maybe adding grease would keep that from happening - the
excess would run off better. Also, maybe pure paraffin would be too
stiff.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu