[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Sat Jan 8 13:49:54 MST 2011

  Years ago when I was interested in wooden boat building, I heard much
about the dangers of corroding hull fasteners due to the galvanic
process of dis-similar metals in close proximity. I don't pretend to
understand the underlying processes, but have wondered if the steel
flange screws and brass rails might not have an impact, at least in
cases where the piano lived near the ocean. Since it's the brass that is
oxidizing it might also effect the center pins?

- Mark