[CAUT] Steinway verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Sat Jan 8 14:12:45 MST 2011

Hi, Fred,

At 05:11 PM 1/7/2011, you wrote:
>On Jan 7, 2011, at 5:59 PM, Horace Greeley wrote:
>
>>The buckets into which parts (flanges only, unless the piano was
>>being "tropicalized") were dipped were filled with melted paraffin
>>wax, which was not mixed with tallow.
>

>         If this is the case, no other "contaminants" besides a bit of whale
>oil, that makes the verdigris question quite puzzling. One thing that
>"paraffins" have in common is non-reactivity. They don't really
>combine well with other chemicals, though they burn readily. Seemingly
>they are nearly inert chemically, so it seems unlikely they would
>become gummy with age. Hmmm... Unless the "paraffin wax" was not well
>refined, and had impurities that led to the long term problems. Or
>somehow humidity and atmospheric contaminants somehow interacted in
>the environment created by paraffin impregnated wool.

These are all really good points.

It's never made any sense to me that the paraffin, of itself, would
create the problem; there needed to be some other reactants in the
process.  The best guess(es) I've ever heard are very much along the
lines you suggest...i.e., that there is usually some interaction with
the overall environment.  When that is coupled with the odd mixture
of things at play - paraffin (of questionable quality and
purity...buckets in a factory, after all), lanolin/whatever in the
non-sulphuric-acid-treated bushing cloth, brass center pins (anyone
ever done a substantive analysis on the content of these?), and then
the environment (in which humidity and contaminents may very well
play a part).  Of all of these, I've been most interested in the
paraffin/lanolin/brass interaction, as it seems that something might be there.

On the other hand, as we've also noted, at this point, most of these
actions have been the recipients of the tender minstrations of
generations of technicians who simply didn't have some of the
analytical tools and processes which we do now; and used whatever was
at hand to "fix" these kinds of problems.  Once anything else is
introduced into the mix, then all bets are off.  Fortunately, we do
have a "real" fix in simply replacing the affected parts...time and
budgets allowing.  Folks with neither simply have to understand that
things will never be "right".

I do think it's odd that, while most older S&S actions are now
affected to some degree or other, there are some which never seem to
be so adversely affected.  Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned
seeing some that were still working well; and I've certainly seen any
number of those, as have most folks on this list.

Best.

Horace