[CAUT] Steinway verdigris - Wild Turkey Bourbon

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Jan 10 19:01:34 MST 2011

FWIW,

Several years ago I was given all kinds of advice on chemicals to get rid of verdigris. I tested 17 in all. From "Wild Turkey Bourbon" to brake fluid. I won't list everything here, but some of them worked much better than others but they were all temporary. Some lasted days, some several months. Believe it or not the best thing was "Goose Juice" (Joe Goss) which lasted longer than everything else. Protek CLP was next. TSP and even brake fluid was also pretty good. But in the end the verdigris returned. So, I replaced parts.

Funny story; Here I am, Mormon and all, going into a liquor store to buy Wild Turkey bourbon. I have no idea which booze is which, so I asked the storekeeper about it. I told him "I need it to fix some parts on a piano". "Shhuuure you do" he said, wink wink. "No, really I do... " "Uhum. Yep. Okay...". I left red faced with brown bag in hand.

So... I'm in my back yard (the stuff is strong smelling!) pouring this onto the unpinned flanges and blowing it out with a compressor (as I was advised to do) and I'm there holding this bottle, Bourbon all over me, stinking to high heaven, when one of the Elders from my church comes into my backyard..... Needless to say I got a quite a few winks from him next Sunday in church.

Jim Busby