[CAUT] HVAC codes - piano stability

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jan 12 09:11:10 MST 2011

On Jan 11, 2011, at 10:58 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> The reality is; this costs more to install. More codes, more money.
> You need to get the powers that be to fork out the money

	It would certainly cost somewhat more to install: some form of
misting system (turning water into water vapor) and humidistat. But a
basic unit to maintain a lower level of, say, 30% RH +or - 7% would be
a negligible cost compared to the whole project of a new HVAC or
renovation of an old one. At least I am pretty certain this is the
case. Also inexpensive to run. Which is why I keep harping on the idea.
	Lowering high RH is quite expensive. Maintaining a tight parameter is
quite expensive. But if we can find a relatively inexpensive
alternative, that isn't ideal but makes a considerable improvement, we
will all be way ahead. There are other benefits besides piano tuning
stability: reduced static electric problems (electronics issues),
human health, etc.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel