[CAUT] Humidity (HVAC codes)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jan 13 11:24:23 MST 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Cutting off the return air is probably the fastest way to create a
> heating/air system that needs the repairman to be there for big $$$$
> and will shorten the life of the system costing replacement bucks.
> How much depends on how aggressive you are at killing the air flow
> and changing the static pressure in the heat/air units. Provide
> relief elsewhere if you do this.

In a reasonably large music building, you could do this to a few
offices without causing damage to the system. I am not really
recommending it, except perhaps in a very specific, delicate case
(need to keep the antique instrument at a minimum humidity, so its
room gets this treatment).
	For a whole building system, the air flows through all these ducts in
a circulating fashion. The hot and cold input air doesn't all go into
rooms, some of it goes back through the system, with exhaust air
added. Or some of the exhaust air is vented to the outside, and some
outside air is drawn in. It isn't really like a swamp cooler pushing
air into a sealed room. There is a lot of give and take between
systems of ductwork.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu