[CAUT] Stuart & Son on NPR

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 18 21:20:24 MST 2011

Nothing odd there. As I recall, the top several octaves were retro-fitted
with phoenix agraffes. One would expect the mass of the agraffe to increase
impedence on those notes.

Sauter gets similar effects on their top line instruments by using ebony
bridge caps and titanium bridge pins. Petrof uses three different woods in
high treble, treble and tenor bridge caps to modulate the impedence.

It would be nice if we had some kind of impedence dial to voice the bridge,
note-by-note.

Ed Sutton

Fred wrote:
Could be, but that doesn't explain how putting some agraffes on a
standard bridge makes _those_ unisons sustain so much better than the
standard neighbors, as in the Baldwin retrofit shown I think at Grand
Rapids. Or did that other list address that seeming magic as well?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht