[CAUT] Hammers for Steinway 45

Rex Roseman rosemanpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:15:34 MST 2011

Dear list

I have just been informed that the dance department has some extra money to
put toward pianos and they would like to replace the hammers on a Steinway
45 upright.

As there is no pressure to use Steinway parts, what type of hammer would
people suggest for use in a dance studio piano? The new studios are very
large and spacious with cement block walls, mirrors, glass windows and metal
ceilings and therefore have a lot of reverb. I need a hammer that will sound
good on the piano and will cut through the sound. The main accompanist likes
the sound of the Yamaha uprights better, so that might give an idea of what
sound is needed.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Rex Roseman