[CAUT] New suggestions for practice room pianos - Sauter, etc

Shelley srbanders at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 24 20:35:46 MST 2011

Thought I'd weigh in here.  We have 7 Charles Walters all with Dampp-Chasers
varying in age from 1994 through 2006.  They are great!  The only problem
that I've ever had is with the older pedal systems.  The factory has sent
new parts as needed (free of charge)  but, it is a continuing hassle.  The
rubber grommets that go through the pedal holes and then through which the
short rod goes, does not hold up to practice room usage.  The holes in those
older pedals were a tad too big.  Chews up the rubber.
The newer ones are better, one has a condition where the sharps were not
glued properly and they pop off.  Soon I'll have glued them all back on.
Small American factory with a few holes in their quality control.  But, they
make a very good instrument.

We have bought two new Kohler & Campbell's (built in Samick factory) and I
like them very much so far.  The back rail and keyboard has gone through
some warping changes over the winter.  They have that great slow closing
fallboard!  Sound lovely.

SBA