[CAUT] String breakage

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:13:36 MST 2011

Sam,

I've had this happen a couple times and I know this might be a pain but I would restring all of those sizes that break more than one or two. That way you know it's not a bad batch of wire or that the stringer was "the new guy" putting nicks in the wire. It's a royal pain to do those particular sizes, but what is the other alternative? Waiting for one to break in a concert? I'm a pretty fast stringer so it's not too time consuming, but I seem to sleep better after it's all done.

Regards,
Jim Busby BYU

It's where the string meets the pin (not the becket... because I remember
taking the sting off the pin to splice)
And Brent, wish it were as easy as putting protek on the felt, but this is
not one of those old clunkers that has been sitting in an
humid climate for years. I did call Steinway to ask them if they were having
any issues in this area and they thanked me for letting them know
about the problem and told me to have a nice day. So I proceeded to have a
nice day!   They were really no help... but I shall try again.

Thanks for the suggestions
Sam