[CAUT] Grinding plate counter-bearing

Don Mannino dmannino at kawaius.com
Tue Jul 26 10:11:01 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I have a little project I need to work on, and thought I would ask for some advice.  I need to grind the treble counter-bearings off of the plate of a piano in a customer's home.  I am hoping someone here has a good suggestion for which tool works best to give a clean removal that stays relatively flat.  I would like to avoid screwing up the plate finish nearby, and leave a flat surface that I can put a half-round on.

With the tuning pins staying in place, I'm thinking a flat grinding wheel might not fit in there.  I can use a Dremel, but am worried it will be very hard to get it smooth and level.

Keeping in mind the need to do it in the home, any suggestions?  Dremel with a specific tip, maybe?

Don Mannino RPT