[CAUT] Grinding plate counter-bearing

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jul 26 10:58:31 MDT 2011

I may be illogical, but couldn't you file down the bottom of the half
round somehow?

Paul

From:
Don Mannino <dmannino at kawaius.com>
To:
"caut at ptg.org" <caut at ptg.org>
Date:
07/26/2011 11:13 AM
Subject:
[CAUT] Grinding plate counter-bearing

Hi all,

I have a little project I need to work on, and thought I would ask for
some advice.  I need to grind the treble counter-bearings off of the plate
of a piano in a customer’s home.  I am hoping someone here has a good
suggestion for which tool works best to give a clean removal that stays
relatively flat.  I would like to avoid screwing up the plate finish
nearby, and leave a flat surface that I can put a half-round on.

With the tuning pins staying in place, I’m thinking a flat grinding wheel
might not fit in there.  I can use a Dremel, but am worried it will be
very hard to get it smooth and level.

Keeping in mind the need to do it in the home, any suggestions?  Dremel
with a specific tip, maybe?

Don Mannino RPT