[CAUT] The demise of the American piano industry

Aaron Bousel abousel at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 14:24:37 MDT 2012

Here's a link to the whole article, including a video.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/arts/music/for-more-pianos-last-note-is-thud-in-the-dump.html?pagewanted=all

First: Larry is hardly responsible for the juxtaposition of his
comment and the photo of an old Knabe grand.
Second: You don't know the context of his remarks, that is, what
question was asked by the reporter that elicited the quote that was
used. In the context of 80 to 100+ year old verticals it certainly
fits and his comment doesn't endorse the purchase of a digital piano,
it just states the reality of the marketplace.
Third: You've "always said" that Larry Fine doesn't know what he's
talking about? OK, you're entitled to your opinion (albeit a minority
one within the industry), but don't base it on one out of context
quote from a newspaper article.

Aaron

At 07:25 AM 8/1/2012, you wrote:
>NY Times  7-30-12.....Music Article
>
>   On the front page of the digital NY Times  " For More Pianos, Last Note
>is the Thud in the Dump"
>
>  " Instead of spending hundreds or thousands to repair an old piano, you
>can buy a new one made in China that's just as good, or you can buy a digital
>one that doesn't need need tuning and has all kinds of bells and
>whistles," said
>Larry Fine, the editor and publisher of Acoustic & Digital Buyer "
>the industry bible.
>
>The picture seen around the world is of a vintage Knabe grand being trashed.
>Confirms what I've always said, he doesn't know what he is talking about.
>
>Brent Fischer
>30 yr. member of the PTG / Registered Craftsman / retired

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
info at bouselpiano.com
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)