[CAUT] The demise of the American piano industry

Brent Fischer brent.fischer at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 1 15:48:40 MDT 2012

Mr. Bousel,
   With all due respect Aaron I don't consider my opinion a minority one.
Secondly, who made Mr. Fine's instrument acumen the " last word " or
his analysis the " bible " of the industry.  As the last of the greatest
American made pianos fade into the sunset there will be even the
occasional Mason and Hamlin growing daises in  your local dump. The
comparison that Fine makes with the Chinese industry would leave the
laymen believing that they are just as well made as the original specs
of pianos that were light years ahead of anything made in China.

    It all starts with the carcass, just have to compare and contrast with
specs that have been historically superior.  There has never been a foreign
made piano anywhere that could hold it's own on stage with a Baldwin or
Mason much less a Steinway. I don't categorize the Hamburg as foreign.

    Final comment:  The last time I drove over Fine's book with my truck
was when he made his biblical judgement that European instruments
are as good as our currently US made Steinways.
Like I said, he's not our spokesman.