AOL

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 00:35:09 +0059 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Oct 1994, Ron Torrella wrote:

> I'd like to think PIANOTEK is a place where flame wars isn't going to be
> tolerated.  I think, too, that assuming that a person who acts in a
> particular fashion elsewhere in the virtual world is going to behave in a
> similar fashion on a listserver is being a bit presumptuous.  Further, I
> think comments such as Tim's unnecessarily prejudice others who may not be
> familiar with the newcomer.
>
> Perhaps becoming familiar with the "D"-elete command in the mode wherein
> you select which email/article to read is the thing to do. Short of
> ignoring posts from those whose opinions strike us as being unpopular or
> annoying, perhaps it would be best to take up your grievances with
> individuals in private.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron Torrella
> School of Music
> University of Illinois

Thank you. When I answered Tim's message, I was under the impression that
it was sent privately. Oh well. Is there anything in the lines below that
can be construed as an attack on AOL subscribers? Are any of my public
disagreements with you or John Minor personal attacks? I suppose I get a
bit vehement at times... I guess I should tone it down some.

> > >May I add that America On Line software has been wreaking havoc on
> > >mailing lists and newsgroups by making it very easy to misattribute
> > >quotations, (I was at one time a victim) misdirect replies and do other
> > >nasty things that are quite bothersome to the rest of us here in the
> > >virtual universe. AOL has been very unresponsive, so that a crusade is
> > >afoot to convince AOL users to find an internet access that is less
> > >hassle for the rest of us.  You should be aware of this if such problems
> > >arise here...
>
> > >Israel Stein

As far as my intent is re the PIANOTECH list, you are absolutely right -
I'm here to acquire useful information, not to preach or argue. So thanks
again for your comments above.

Israel