harpsichord wire

PHIL SLOFFER, MA067 855-1244 PSLOFFER@ucs.indiana.edu
Sat, 03 Sep 1994 13:51:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi All
Harpsichord wire. Where do I begin.  Zukermann wire is very good wire.
Rose is too.  This kind of wire is softer than regular music wire such
as we use in pianos.  Though they call it iron wire (which it may be)
I read somewhere that is it really annealed steel wire.  But anyway if
the wire want to break and changing sizes wont help you might try these
two things which I have had good luck with.

Try using the same size wire in regular music wire like you get from
Schaff.  If there is enough tension ie the speaking length is longer
than it should be, the harder music wire may have an ok sound.  If that
is not satisfactory try this.  Make a small bridge piece with a center
pin in it and shape it just right so it will fit in front of the bridge
and when you get it shaped just right then glue it in place and put on
the correct size wire.  Since the speaking length is shorter it should
not break and if you are careful
ful you can get the tension(speaking length)
right so you dont loose the good sound you want.  Let me know if this
is not clear I will send you a better explanation.

I have 14 harpsichord I am taking care of at school and I have used
these two tricks on several instruments with good results.

Later, Phil Sloffer
       psloffer@indiana.edu