None

Danny Boone Danny_Boone@BAYLOR.EDU
Fri, 09 Sep 1994 08:40:37 -0600

On 9/8/94, Ron Torrella asked the following questions concerning an a=
rticle by=20
Kent Swafford:

1.  When you're addressing the customer's apparent concern in the abo=
ve=20
example, are you in fact tuning the instrument using the SA-T or are =
you=20
first tuning the instrument, then recording the resultant tuning?

2.  Does your SA-T take atmospheric conditions into account?  (Season=
al=20
changes and what-not.) What if the piano were to be moved into a=20
different room between the time you tune/record the first time and th=
en=20
return?  Would you have to start from scratch?

3.  If your customer calls you the next day and expresses disapproval=
=20
with the tuning, would you hesitate to return, _sans_ SA-T, to give a=
=20
completely aural tuning?  Would you consider this "backing down" or=
=20
merely satisfying the customer?  What about subsequent tunings?  Woul=
d=20
they be SA-T-assisted tunings in this customer's case?  What if the w=
ord=20
spread from that customer that, when push came to shove, you caved=
=20
thereby giving some validation to the customer's contention that aura=
l is=20
better than assisted?

4. Does using the SA-T *really* cut your tuning time down?  Does it=
=20
*really* "free up your mind" when tuning?  (What would it be free to =
do? =20
Run through the grocery list?  No, not sarcasm, just wondering what e=
lse=20
one would want to think of while attending to this piano.  Personally=
, I=20
might find the SA-T to be more of a distraction so I don't understand=
 how=20
it can be such a mental strain to tune without an SA-T.  It would see=
m to=20
me that one would be better able to consider voicing and other action=
 noise/=20
=00
regulation problems to not have to be concerned with fiddling with th=
at=20
device.)

5.  When I was very young, my piano was tuned by an old man (no=20
electronic gadgets).  When he retired, my parents called on several=
=20
technicians from the PTG.  One gentleman showed up and tuned the pian=
o=20
with an A-T (not sure what brand it was but it had a circle of red li=
ghts=20
like the SA-T).  I thought it was pretty neat, myself.  But when he l=
eft=20
and I began practicing, I noticed a distinctly different sound--steri=
le,=20
cold, lifeless.  My folks called him back and he demonstrated that th=
e=20
piano was perfectly in tune.  No amount of convincing worked for me. =
 It=20
just didn't sound right.  Note that I had no prejudices against his=
=20
use of the tuning device and as my long-time technician had retired m=
any=20
years before, I was not accustomed to a particular tuning or tuner.  =
I'm=20
sure that this phenomenon can be explained away, but isn't it possibl=
e=20
that some pianists actually prefer *not* to hear equal temperament an=
d=20
dead-perfect unisons?  I suspect that this is the root cause of most=
=20
pianists' dislike of electronically-assisted tunings.

Caveat: I think there are good uses for the SA-T.  I don't dispute=
=20
that, in some cases, they may provide a better tuning than could=20
otherwise be provided--in cases like colds, ear infections, medicatio=
ns=20
that dull the auditory nerves, etc.  My questions aren't aimed at=
=20
starting a flame war.  These are questions/comments I've heard among =
my=20
customers, some of whom have called for my services specifically beca=
use=20
they didn't like their pianos tuned electronically.

Ron Torrella, Head Piano Technician
School of Music
University of Illinois

Hello Ron:

Although I cannot speak for Kent Swafford about your questions to his=
 Journal=20
article, I would like to share with everyone my perspective of the di=
scussion.=20
 I am an aural tuner, and have been a strong supporter of aural tunin=
g as=20
opposed to visual tuning for many, many years.  I also use an Accu-Tu=
ner=20
everyday.  How can this be? =20

Here is how I use the Accu-Tuner (A-T):

1.  Pitch adjustments.  Having raised and lowered pitch aurally for t=
wenty=20
years, and now having experienced pitch adjustments using the A-T, I =
can=20
truthfully say that there is not a more accurate and efficient way of=
=20
adjusting pitch than with the A-T.

2.  Pitch source.  After years of holding my tuning fork under hot or=
 cold=20
running water to regulate its temperature, I find that using the A-T =
to set=20
the pitch of A-440 is quick, easy and unquestionably accurate.  Demon=
stration=20
to customers of how flat or sharp a piano may be is also easier with =
the A-T.
=00

3.  Theoretical understanding.  Using the A-T for analyzing inharmonc=
ity, etc.=20
has been a great help to my understanding of these subjects along wit=
h reading=20
about them and listening to instructors.

4.  PTG exams.  It would be very difficult to be an active CTE withou=
t an A-T.=20
 I would have to depend on someone else to provide this necessity.  I=
n=20
addition, having the PTG exam program in my A-T expedites exam admini=
stration.

5.  Reproducing aural tunings.  This is the most valuable of all the =
features=20
of the A-T.  Once a good aural tuning has been accomplished and accur=
ately=20
recorded in memory, reproducing this tuning again and again does inde=
ed cut=20
down on tuning time and frees up the mind.  During aural tuning a tun=
er must=20
constantly focus his hearing on a multitude of sounds and make instan=
t=20
judgements as to which is the best compromise for each of the partial=
s of each=20
of the intervals of each of the 88 notes on the keyboard.  Reproducin=
g an=20
aural tuning from the A-T memory requires focusing the eyes and stopp=
ing the=20
lights.  The hammer technique is the same for both methods.  The cons=
tant=20
pressure of focusing on beats, comparing beat speeds, listening to 3r=
ds, 4ths,=20
5ths, 6ths, 8vs, etc. etc. etc., and making instant judgements has al=
ready=20
been taken care of when the aural tuning was initially done.  Time is=
 also=20
saved since no strip mute is involved, and the piano can be tuned=
=20
chromatically from A0 to C88, tuning the unisons as you go.  (I tune =
the=20
unisons aurally, although the top 3 or 4 notes, which are sometimes n=
othing=20
more than a knock, can often be tuned more accurately using the A-T o=
n each=20
string of the unison.)  In noisy concert situations, the A-T has been=
 a life-
saver more than once, and is also very helpful when tuning two pianos=
 together=20
when the keyboards cannot be placed in close proximity to each other.

6.  Computer-generated tunings.  I DO NOT use the A-T to create tempe=
raments=20
or tunings.  Thus far, I have not found one of these tunings to be wi=
thout=20
flaws, even with the new FAC configuration.  Since a computer-generat=
ed tuning=20
must be thoroughly checked and always corrected, I find that I can cr=
eate a=20
better temperament/tuning, and can do it faster without the use of th=
e A-T. =20
This is not to say that others cannot use the A-T to create accurate=
=20
temperaments.  Perhaps I have not yet learned to use the A-T properly=
 for this=20
function.

I'll have to admit, however, that these FAC tunings are more accurate=
 than my=20
tunings were 25 years ago.  But, if I had started out with an A-T, I =
probably=20
would never have fully developed the skill to tune aurally.  As I hav=
e stated=20
time and again, "If you can't tune without an electronic tuning devic=
e, you=20
can't tune with one."

7.  Generic tunings.  In practice rooms where I have many pianos of t=
he same=20
make and model, I do not hesitate to use a generic tuning, that is, a=
n aural=20
tuning done on a piano of the same make and model.  Practice room pia=
nos go=20
out of tune faster than any of the other pianos I have, and I find th=
at a=20
generic tuning is very adequate for this situation.  Since I have 225=
 pianos=20
in inventory, practice rooms pianos are on the bottom of the list.  I=
t is=20
better to be able to tune those pianos more often with a generic tuni=
ng than=20
less often with a strictly aural tuning.

8.  Treble octave tuning.  In octaves 6 and 7, I use the A-T to tune =
octaves. =20
For example, by measuring the partials of notes in octaves 4 and 5, I=
 find the=20
best tuning for notes in octave 6.  This is exactly what I do aurally=
, but I=20
do not need the aural tests to prove which tuning is best.  I can=
=20
automatically tune notes as 2:1 octaves, 4:1 double-octaves, 6:1 doub=
le-octave-
fifths, or even 8:1 triple octaves, or anything in between, whichever=
 is best=20
for that particular piano.  This method has improved the smoothness,=
=20
consistency, and even the stability of my treble tuning. =20

In answer to your question #2:  The A-T does not take seasonal change=
s into=20
account any more than your tuning fork does.  Seasonal changes are fi=
gured=20
into the pitch setting, which can be done with the A-T or a fork.  Th=
e tuner=20
makes the judgement in both instances.

In answer to your question #5:  The difference between current electr=
onic=20
tuning devices and those of 20 years ago is vast.  "In the beginning"=
, tuning=20
devices produced tunings without any regard for inharmonicity.  Later=
, these=20
were improved by suggesting that the tuner "stretch" the octaves just=
 a little.
  After that, the "stretch" was calculated and printed on charts, and=
 tuners=20
combined these printed charts with a little imagination, and produced=
 better,=20
but still inadequate tunings.  These are the tunings that gave rise t=
o the=20
negative attitudes toward electronic tuning that persist today.  Elec=
tronic=20
tuning today, properly done, is as far removed from earlier versions =
as is the=20
rocket from the stagecoach (well, at least the Model-T).

When I first began using my A-T, I was ashamed of it, and hid it when=
ever=20
someone came in the room.  Whether it was university professors, or o=
rdinary=20
customers, I didn't want them knowing that I was using an electronic =
device. =20
This is no longer the case.  In any situation =D1guest artist or upri=
ght piano=20
owner=D1 I don't hide the machine, and I have yet to be challenged as=
 you=20
mentioned in question #3.

I hope this discussion has been helpful.

Danny L. Boone, RPT
Baylor University
Waco, Texas