RE>Piano Use Policies - Institutional

Danny Boone Danny_Boone@BAYLOR.EDU
Fri, 09 Sep 1994 11:01:05 -0600

Alan:

The School of Music at Baylor University has the following halls:
     Roxy Grove Hall (250): NY Steinway (9'), Hamburg Steinway (9'),
          Dowd harpsichord, Fortepiano.
     Meadows Recital Hall (200): Kawai (7'5"), Collegium harpsichord
     Jones Concert Hall (1000): NY Steinway (9'), (Kawai (6')
     Recital Hall (200): Kawai (7')

The University has the following:
     Waco Hall (2500): NY Steinway (9'), Yamaha (6')
     Ferrell Center (50,000): NY Steinway, 1902 (9')
     Armstrong/Browning Library:  Mason & Hamlin (7')

I am responsible for all tuning and technical work done on all pianos.

The Dowd harpsichord and Fortepiano should be used in Roxy Grove Hall.
Unusual circumstances which require moving either instrument must be cleared
in advance with the Director of Keyboard Studies and the Piano Technician.

Both concert Steinways in Roxy Grove may be used for faculty ensembles,
faculty and guest recitals.  The NY Steinway may be used for all student
recitals.  The Hamburg Steinway may be used for piano degree recitals.

The Steinways in Jones Hall and Ferrell Center, and the Kawai pianos in
Meadows and the small recital hall may be used by anyone.

Arrangements for use of the Collegium harpsichord must be approved by the
director of the Collegium Musicum.

Tuning requests for the early keyboard instruments should be submitted to the
piano technician two weeks prior to the performance.

All performance pianos are tuned on a regular weekly or bi-weekly basis, and
prior to performances as needed.

We do not rent out any pianos to anyone for any reason.  However, we furnish
pianos for events sponsored by the university.  While we may move a small
grand across campus for some event, we rarely move one of our concert grands
for campus use.  We have moved concert grands for university use only once in
my 20 years.  If some other school or department wishes to use a piano, they
must pay for the moving.

The piano technician must supervise all piano moves.

I think this just about covers our piano policy.

Danny L. Boone, RPT
Baylor University
Waco, Texas