Journal Article, Accu-Tuners

k.swafford@genie.geis.com k.swafford@genie.geis.com
Fri, 9 Sep 94 23:14:00 UTC

 Ron,

      It's good to hear from you.  How many years has it been since
 we were both in Wichita?
     Oh my, where to begin...

 >1.  When you're addressing the customer's apparent concern in the
 >above example, are you in fact tuning the instrument using the SA-T or
 >are you first tuning the instrument, then recording the resultant
 >tuning?

      Why does this matter?  At this point, my tuning technique is
 hopelessly hybrid.  I integrate aural and visual techniques to
 compliment each other;  I don't do one or the other.

 >2.  Does your SA-T take atmospheric conditions into account?
 >(Seasonal changes and what-not.) What if the piano were to be moved
 >into a different room between the time you tune/record the first time
 >and then return?  Would you have to start from scratch?

      All tunings must be aurally verified/refined.

 >3.  If your customer calls you the next day and expresses disapproval
 >with the tuning, would you hesitate to return, _sans_ SA-T, to give a
 >completely aural tuning?  Would you consider this "backing down" or
 >merely satisfying the customer?  What about subsequent tunings?  Would
 >they be SA-T-assisted tunings in this customer's case?  What if the
 >word spread from that customer that, when push came to shove, you
 >caved thereby giving some validation to the customer's contention that
 >aural is better than assisted?

      These are hypothetical questions, because this hasn't happened
 to me.  My best work is done utilizing integrated aural/visual
 techniques.  Why would someone want less than my best work?  I haven't
 "backed down" nor does it seem likely I will be asked to.

 >4. Does using the SA-T *really* cut your tuning time down?  Does it
 >*really* "free up your mind" when tuning?  (What would it be free to
 >do? Run through the grocery list?  No, not sarcasm, just wondering
 >what else one would want to think of while attending to this piano.
 >Personally, I might find the SA-T to be more of a distraction so I
 >don't understand how it can be such a mental strain to tune without an
 >SA-T.  It would seem to me that one would be better able to consider
 >voicing and other action noise/ regulation problems to not have to be
 >concerned with fiddling with that device.)

      The only response I have to this is that I would not characterize
 my operating an SAT as "fiddling."

 >5.  When I was very young, my piano was tuned by an old man (no
 >electronic gadgets).  When he retired, my parents called on several
 >technicians from the PTG.  One gentleman showed up and tuned the piano
 >with an A-T (not sure what brand it was but it had a circle of red
 >lights like the SA-T).  I thought it was pretty neat, myself.  But
 >when he left and I began practicing, I noticed a distinctly different
 >sound--sterile, cold, lifeless.  My folks called him back and he
 >demonstrated that the piano was perfectly in tune.  No amount of
 >convincing worked for me.  It just didn't sound right.  Note that I
 >had no prejudices against his use of the tuning device and as my
 >long-time technician had retired many years before, I was not
 >accustomed to a particular tuning or tuner.  I'm sure that this
 >phenomenon can be explained away, but isn't it possible that some
 >pianists actually prefer *not* to hear equal temperament and
 >dead-perfect unisons?  I suspect that this is the root cause of most
 >pianists' dislike of electronically-assisted tunings.

      I am unfamiliar with the phenomenon of pianists disliking
 electronically-assisted tunings.

 >Caveat: I think there are good uses for the SA-T.  I don't dispute
 >that, in some cases, they may provide a better tuning than could
 >otherwise be provided--in cases like colds, ear infections,
 >medications that dull the auditory nerves, etc.  My questions aren't
 >aimed at starting a flame war.  These are questions/comments I've
 >heard among my customers, some of whom have called for my services
 >specifically because they didn't like their pianos tuned
 >electronically.

      The reverse is also true.  I know of tuners (including myself)
 who have gotten calls from customers who specifically wanted
 electronically-assisted tunings.  You left out that SAT's shine in
 noisy environments where aural tunings would be impossible.  (There
 was this time I tuned through a Z Z Top sound check... )

 >Ron Torrella, Head Piano Technician
 >School of Music
 >University of Illinois

      I have heard of thumb pianos, mouth organs, and even nose flutes,
 but what, exactly, is a "head piano"??!!!

      (Now <THAT> <<IS>> sarcasm... )       @8^)>

                                              Kent Swafford