Steinway Parts

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 18:50:34 -0500 (CDT)

Michael -

It is *so* refreshing to hear someone else carp about just how bad
Steinway parts have become!  To this day I will not order action parts
made in New York (Hamburg parts are marginally better, IMHO) because

A. they _continue_ to use teflon in their bushings (call it what you
will, emralon or whatever, it's _teflon_).

B. they lack quality control.  It's not in their vocabulary. (Sorry, Glorie!)

I recently returned a set of prehung hammers/shanks because the rake
angle was something in the neighborhood of 95-95 degrees (away from the
keyboard) and the bore distance was about 5 1/4" -- far out enough that
the highest hammers would crash into the belly on the way to the strings!

I haven't looked at the replacement set that Mike Mohr was supposed to
have checked before shipping, but I'm not counting on them being good
enough to use.

Bring on the horror stories!

Aren't you glad you did your homework, Michael!?

Regards,

Ron Torrella
University of Illinois