Hearing loss (revisited)

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Tue, 04 Apr 1995 21:10:40 -0500

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

>Back in January there was (I started) a thread on hearing loss and
>ear plug tuning, etc. Recently, a similar thread has appeared on
>the pipe organ list (piporg-l@uacsc2.albany.edu). I would like
>to pass on to this list a Web site which contains all you ever
>wanted to know about tinnitus.
>
>    http://music1.uoregon.edu/musres.html
>
>-Hear's lis'nen to ya.-

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I wasn't around for the thread in
January, and wanted to put in my 2cents.

I've been using the custom musician's earplugs for about 9 months now, and
swear by them!  I no longer have to fight ear fatigue during the last
tunings of the day, and find that I can actually concentrate and isolate
harmonics better with the plugs, since they block out a lot of those
annoying little backround noises.

As someone who spends time tuning big grands in small practice rooms, the
plugs now seem almost indispensable to me.

I originally got the plugs after noticing that the slight tinnitus I've had
in one ear (from back in my rock & roll days I'm afraid..) was starting to
get worse.  Since I've used the plugs, the tinnitus actually seems to have
almost dissapeared.

Please, please take care of those ears folks, we all have followed not so
old techs who have lost the ability to hear the top octave.  I plan to be
doing high quality work when I'm 80.

John McKone