WWW browser

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 07 Apr 1995 08:55:27 -0500

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> Can someone tell me where I can FTP a good Webb browser for MS-DOS?  I
> need to get one to scope all these new home pages.

Realizing, of course, that you won't see any of the graphics....

I should have mentioned--to those of you who haven't yet set up
Mosaic/Netscape but have the capability (min. = 386 cpu, color moniter,
9600bd modem; ideal = pentium (100Mhz) cpu, 17" trinitron screen moniter,
ISDN connection)--in the readme files that come with those programs
you'll find that you also need a SLIP or PPP connection and a program called
Trumpet Winsock to "drive" the browser (Mosaic/Netscape).  It took me
about a month to get everything set up to where Netscape wasn't crashing
on me every time I ran it.  Mosaic, unfortunately, has the stunning
ability to find new and interesting ways to crash, thereby eluding any
and all efforts to make it crash-proof!

The best person, of course, to have on your side in setting up these
programs is your local net guru.  If you've already burned that bridge
(or someone has already done it for you), you're welcome to fire
questions at me.  I'll do my best to answer them.

The Home Page's arrival isn't far off.  I'm excited about it!

See y'all at the Center of Cyberspace!

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette