WWW browser

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sun, 09 Apr 1995 14:10 -0500 (EST)

>Ron T., Ron B. or anyone else - Have you gotten your Internet/WWW surfing
>abilities from experience, from your "local net guru", or where?  Would
>the book "Internet for Dummies" be a good place to start to be a little
>more literate?  I get along with our Univ. computer lab, but they're
>there and, when I'm logged on I'm at home.  So I'd rather have a resource
>right here.  Any suggestions?
>
>Jeff Stickney, RPT
>University of Montana
>jpage@selway.umt.edu

Jeff,

I think it is good to read a book about the internet first.  "Internet for
Dummies" has had good reviews as  a good basic book.  I had one called, "The
Interenet unleashed" which is very comprehensive and fairly technical.  It
even gets in to how to set up your own server.
There is a good Magazine called Internet World which has information about
good internet sites.  It is also fairly technical in its articles.  You can
subscribe:
Internet World, PO Box 713, Mt Morris, IL  61054, or at 800-573-3062.  They
also have a WWW site at   http://www.meckler.web.com   this site includes
back issues.  I have found this magazine at larger book stores.

There is another magazine called NetGuide which seems to be readily
available at newsstands.  I have found this one to be lacking in substance.
It has some kicky sites and info on some useful ones.  But I would go with
Internet World for meat and potatoes.

The best way to learn is to just get in there and play.  Netscape and Mosaic
make it easy, because they can access all the other services without having
to think about it.  You need a fast modem at least 14,400 because of the
grapics on the Web pages.  (Altough you can turn them off to make it go
faster).  Operating from SLIP account where you can use your own Windows
software (like Netscape) makes it a lot easier.  Using a browser like lynx
from a shell account will give you access to the Web but it's not pretty.

If you have every sat down with a mulitmedia encyclopedia and followed the
"See Also" links, you will have some idea of how you can jump around through
information on the Web.  Sound files are so large that is often takes 30
minutes to download 1 or 2 minutes of sound.   Sound a video won't become
big until the speed of the connections is increased.

Just jump in there and experiment.

Ron
Ron Berry
ronberry@iquest.net

Collect 1000 of these signatures and win a free trip to Cyberspace!!