Hearing loss

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Sun, 09 Apr 1995 15:26:39 -0400 (EDT)

On the Noise Buster.
      It is _not_ a hearing aid of any type, quite to the contrary it
deminishes the noise level entering the ear.
      The Noise Buster is an Active Noise Suppression device.  It has a
microphone in each ear piece whose signal is inverted and returned to the
earphone 180 degress out of phase with the original sound.  It works great up
to about 3K Hz.
      Above that it works only by whatever little isolation is provided by
the headset itself.
      It is good for noisy environs, supressing noise inside a car or other
work place.
      I have one and have been trying various experiments with but nothing
so great have I discovered to be worth mentioning here.
      I _have_ used it to isolate the partials for a student to learn about
unisons by using the SAT, an amplifier feeding into the NB.
      Great teaching tool for that and also for other intervals.
            Newton