teaching books

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 12:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> In the past I've used Reblitz for technical, and Good's  _Giraffes,
> Black Dragons and other Pianos_ for historical perspective.
>
> Are there other general history books comparable that I should
> consider?

      I like the Black Dragon book. Some others I like are:

      Men, Women & Pianos, Arthur Loesser
            Witty, enjoyable writing; no pictures

      The Piano: Its Story from Zither to Grand, David Grover
            Clear, informative; good photos & drawings
                  (May be out of print)

      The Lives of the Piano, ed. James R. Gaines
            Has two excellent essays on piano history, with nice photos.
                  (May also be out of print)

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide