compression of punchings

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 07:27:20 -0500 (EST)

I routinely iron new felt puchings before I install them.  For
the front rail I use the thickest felt puchings that will work.
My goal is to soften the final impact that the finger makes when
it follows through to the bottom of the key travel.  Pianos that
have severly compressed front rail punchings (felt) or punchings
that are relatively thin create a feeling of fatigue for the
pianist and the tuner.  I figure that the pianist in reality is
doing a fine finger ballet on the keyboard and that the keyboard
needs to have some spring in it just like a real ballerina would
prefer to dance upon a sprung floor.

Just some thoughts.

Michael Wathen
College-Conservatory of Music