compression of punchings

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 09:07:20 -0500

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Michael Wathen 556-9565 wrote:

> I routinely iron new felt puchings before I install them.  For
> the front rail I use the thickest felt puchings that will work.
> My goal is to soften the final impact that the finger makes when
> it follows through to the bottom of the key travel.  Pianos that
> have severly compressed front rail punchings (felt) or punchings
> that are relatively thin create a feeling of fatigue for the
> pianist and the tuner.  I figure that the pianist in reality is
> doing a fine finger ballet on the keyboard and that the keyboard
> needs to have some spring in it just like a real ballerina would
> prefer to dance upon a sprung floor.

So, ironing them has a softening effect? Is that with or without steam?
Never gave it much thought, but my impression is that ironing them
(without steam) would compress the felt, thereby making it harder.

One of the professors here has a "thing" about spongy-feeling cloth front
rail punchings.  He prefers a firm landing to a springy one.  But then,
he's British, so....

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette