New kid (fwd)

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 09:52:12 -0500

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Larry T. Brannin wrote:

> As this is my first attempt to log into pianotech, let me first say hey!  I have
> already received valuable info so thanks to all on line.   Starting questions
> are: should I be charged $.10 for each message?  All of the messages come
> postage due.  Is this normal as I am on Compuserve?

Yup.  Because the stuff comes from the Internet-at-large (as opposed to
from within CompuServe), you're going to get charged for each message.
You wouldn't be the first one to drop because the number of messages from
PIANOTECH--not all of them are meant for everyone and not all of them
are filled with technical stuff, either! :-)  It's really a lot like
going to a chapter meeting--only on a grand scale. (Ooo!  A pun!  Maybe
even a double!)

> Secondly,  I ran into a Kawai Vertical today that had a bridge pin broken off
> around note 84 or so. Someone apparently broke it while pulling up on a broken
> string at that spot.
>  I noticed it was flush with the top of the bridge and therefore nothing was
> available to  grab hold of.  I seem to recall some sort of drill bit available,
> some what like a hole saw that just fits over ths size of the pin.. After
> drilling, fill and repin.  Is this anywhere correct and where might I find this
> bit, and what is it called? Also, what would I use to fill the hole, perhaps CA
> hot stuff (green) or dowell material (from pinblock material?) How would I
> obtain a dowell strong enough, if not from pin block stock, and how would I
> reduce size of material to fit the hole?? Any help appreciated.  Thankx

Indeed, if you can find one tiny enough, a hole saw would be ideal.  I
contemplated this problem recently when I realized that I might end up
breaking off a bridgepin that I was trying to extract that had been
epoxied.  It had been sunken deeper than its neighbors so I thought I
would try replacing it with one that wasn't driven so deep.  I gave up
before the pine broke, though, realizing that there was enough material
for the string to bear against.

If/when you do manage to clean out the old pin, if you manage to do so
without making a major hole out of it, you may find that going up several
pin sizes will suffice in filling the space created by the hole saw.  If
you still need something to fill space, I've found that shoe pegs work
nicely if you shave them a little.

BTW:  Anyone have any bright ideas on how to extract bridge pins that are
epoxied???

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette