Front rail felt

phillip c sloffer psloffer@indiana.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:57:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi All

I read Mike's post with great interest.  I am curious how the rest of you
deal with or feel about how cushy the front rail felt should be.  We have
old Baldwins here at IU with white rope front rail felt and they are very
firm.  This makes regulating touch easier.  Damper lift is more certain.

On the other end of things the Bosendorfer front rail felt, at least older
ones, have very soft felt in front.  This make the action feel quite
different.  Setting touch is different as well as setting the damper up stop
rail in regards to damper lift.

Is it only a matter of what one is used to or are there good reasons to
do it one way or the other?

Later,
-Phil

+  Phil Sloffer         +