Online RPT List/Piano Page

John Baird 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Sun, 16 Apr 1995 21:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

RE: Making the list of RPTs available online
    PTG Electronic Communication Committee

Ron Berry has already made mention of this project here on PianoTech, but
we haven't yet asked for comments/suggestions from you.

The idea (at this point) is to put the list of all 2000 RPTs online via
the PTG Home Page and other online service libraries so that piano owners
can find qualified piano technicians.  The PTG Board seems interested, but
it's a new idea in a new medium, and they want to be sure we consider all
angles, and consider questions like keeping the list updated, before they
give us the go ahead.

So, if you could help us consider all the angles...

THE LIST--what form?  Our idea is to sort the list by state, then by city
within each state.  If we include FirstName, LastName, City, State, and
PhoneNumber, the list of 2000 RPTs would be around 140K in size, or, if
the list is divided into our seven geographical regions, about 20K per
region.  Would require a guide telling which states are in which region.

INITIAL FEEDBACK--General enthusiasm so far, but here are three opinions:
1) Don't include phone numbers.  Once they get my name from the online
list, they can look up my number in the local phonebook -- I don't want
people calling me from where ever to "discuss" pianos.
2) Definitely include phone numbers -- otherwise, the list is much less
useful.
3) I don't mind a technician making a referral to me by using the printed
PTG Directory, but I rather not have my name out there in an online
directory.

Should we include electronic addresses of RPTs?  I have 170 electronic
addresses of piano technicians at this point, 120 of whom are RPTs--the
new PTG Directory will likely have more.

We would appreciate hearing from you on this!

John Baird, RPT
Electronic Communication Committee