Listing on Internet

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 10:04:33 -0500

On Mon, 17 Apr 1995 drose@microcity.com wrote:

> I feel very strongly that as much information be made available to the
> public as possible. I would like to see the list sorted by
> State/Province, area code, last name, first name, address, and telephone
> number(s).

Perhaps, then, you wouldn't mind paying (for me) the annual fee I pay to
limit the availability of my home telephone number.  Listing my office
telephone number would most likely raise questions about conflicts-of-
interest since a listing on the Internet would be tantamount to free
advertising for my private sector work using university resources.  (I've
even had to be careful to use my Prairienet address when replying to
non-university related business since, legally, the sole purpose for my
university account is university business.) I could, of course, simply
have my Prairienet address listed, but since I use it less frequently and
for the sake of less confusion, I try to limit the use of that address.

> I would agree that anyone who wishes not to be listed should have the
> right to remove ALL INFORMATION. This would simplify the choice--either
> be listed or not be listed.

I think the "all or nothing at all" isn't the answer.  I agree with the
person who pointed out that, since the information on the Internet is
being gathered electronically, and since it's probably more convenient to
simply send email (since that's where the recipient of the information is
in the first place), it doesn't make sense to list local address and
telephone numbers.  Perhaps that would be something individual chapters
could tackle.  As I stated before, I see a nightmare of upkeep in trying
to keep telephone numbers, street addresses and email addresses up-to-date
and correct.  The less intrusion into the source files, the better.

Further, if the onus of maintaining one's telephone number/street & email
address up-to-date on the Internet is left to the individual, then no one
is to blame but the individual if there is an error or the listing goes
out-of-date.

> I believe PTG will already send this information to anyone who asks for
> it. If it is not an issue for PTG it should not be an issue on the
> internet.

I completely *DISAGREE*.  The Internet is not the PTG.  The PTG doesn't
have a toll-free technician referral hotline, you know.  If someone wants
a phone number so much that they are willing to call long-distance to get
it from the PTG Home Office, more power to that person.  I do *not* care
to have my street address and phone number plastered all over Cyberspace.

Simplicity is everything in the maintenance of this Page.

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette