Hammers for C5?

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 21:49:31 -0400

Ken Merrill rote:
<< These pianos are 4 years old and get played 10 to 12 hours a day.  My main
problem with the Yamaha hammers (besides they are worn out) was keeping them
voiced down. Any suggestions would be great.>>

Your problem is not with the voicability of Yomamaha hammers, but with the
pianos' workload. Any hammer set played 12 hours daily will end up ground
down within four years, and sound tortured all during that time. Did you miss
David Stanwood's paragraphs about steam-voicing? It's what I had been looking
for through all those years of glovers needles and "voice grips". If the
hammer is made of good quality felt, no matter the name on the box, steam
works and in my opinion, like nothing else.

Stick with Yam hammers for another reason. Believe it or not, they're lighter
even than Steinway's (at least in the B/C7F size). The Renner Premium Bull
hammers are in a weight class all by themselves. Want a picture? Send me a
fax #.

Bill Ballard, RPT           "Out here on the food chain, you either diet,

NH Chapt, PTG                    die, or dine" .......folksinger Mark Graham