Samick Grand Bass String ...

SEThile@aol.com SEThile@aol.com
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 19:53:06 -0400

Hi all,

This is my first post to the list although I have been lurking for several
weeks now.

I think it is interesting that both the pianos Larry is having this problem
on are located in churches. I have too churches that I have worked for in the
past that had chronic bass string problems. BTW all these string were broken a
t the aggraffes, three different pianos involved, all grands, Kimball 5',
Samick around 7', and a Kawai KG-1.

The only thing common between the two churches were they were both large
Southern Baptist churches with a predominately black congregation. After
several months of string breakage I happened into the church at the end of a
rehearsal and observed that the pianist was using the sustain pedal a great
deal in combination with very heavy playing in the bass. In short these bass
strings were vibrating extensively and continually during the entire time the
piano was being played.

 I think what is happening is a combination of string fatigue (heavy playing
with heavy use of the sustain pedal) and possibly the final blow being a
heavy hammer hit to a string that is already deflected upward in a vibration
from a previous blow.

The other factor I have not seen mentioned so far is the condition of the
hammers.  I have noticed for some time that significantly grooved and flat
hammers (especailly if they are also hard) break strings much more than
nicely shaped hammers, although I have noticed this more in the capo sections
than in the bass.

By way of introduction my practice is largely private clients, mainly professi
onal pianists, teachers, and their students.  I also work for the Idyllwild
School of Music and the Arts (ISOMATA) located here in the mountains of
Southern California and formerlly an extension of USC. We have a fine arts
high school simular to Interlocken (though smaller), and do master classes in
the summer months.

I have been enjoying the list a lot.

Scott Thile RPT
sethile@aol.com