scale changes

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 12:14:06 -0400 (EDT)

A question about changing core wire and its effect on wrap

speaking length         1407mm
core                      .046        .045
Inh                       .144        .137
Tension                    196.86     196.69
B %                        36%        38%
Wrap D                     .113       .133

As may be seen making a change without seeing all the parameters is not the
best way to go.  If someone will send me the speaking lengths, core d, wrap D
and unwrapped ends of first and last strings monochord and bichord I will do
the calculations and suggested scale modifications if such is in order.

I just finished a Kawai GS 50 of about 10 years of age where I

      Removed the plate and reset bearing
      used bondo to fill gaps between block and flange
      Rescaled the piano to bring down too high tension and too low inhar.
      Rescaled bass because tension was too high and inharmonicity was too
low which caused a weak unprojecting bass.
      Restrung piano and regulated action.

The new bass strings are still a little weak but much stronger than original
and the treble has a punch lacking in original.  A real success story.

The original purpose for destringing the piano was because all the bridge
pins were wallowing in post holes.  With strings off we had unrestricted
access to the pins.  We dropped AC glue on each side of the pins, one drop at
a time until a mantissa appeared then used a tissue to wick up the access.  I
can tell you now that the tuning is stable, the strings are FAR less faulty
and the piano is now in a classroom/performance venue.

Send me numbers!

      Newton
      nhunt@gandalf.rugters.edu