Monochord PSO

Barbara Richmond berich@heartland.bradley.edu
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:01:32 -0500 (CDT)

>One of my customers has a Monochord studio (the little
>short keyboards) which seems to display a crack dividing
>the top and bottom of the pinblock, all the way from bass
>to treble.

Bob,

I am not familiar with the Monochord, but I do know a
relatively quick, easy and effective repair for pinblocks
that
are separating from the back of the piano--if that is the
type of separation we are talking about.

Remove the lid of the pso.  Send some glue into the
crack--but dont use one that is too thin--it could seep
where you dont want it.  Clamp the back of the piano
together, leaving the plate screws accessible.  One at a
time, remove the plate screws, drill (using a long, scary
looking bit) through the piano and send a carriage bolt
through from back to front (its great if some go through
back posts).   Make sure the bolts dont interfere with
the tuning pins.  Tighten the bolts, remove the clamps.
The trick of the repair is to use the right length of
carriage bolt so you dont have to trim excess bolt that
could interfere with tuning.  It may be a good idea to
lower the tension on the strings (but to tell the truth, I
never have).  Be sure to check to see if there is any
separation of the sides of the case too.  Sorry, I cant
remembler what size bolt--they are all at my shop at
school and Im at home.  Heat the screw and use vise-grips
on the shank of your big screw driver if the plate screws
resist being removed.

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois