Tuning pun

k.swafford@genie.geis.com k.swafford@genie.geis.com
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 19:36:00 -0600 (UTC)

     I got to play straight-man to pianist Malcolm Bilson during the
question and answer session of a lecture he gave last night here in
Kansas City on how the evolution of the fortepiano into the modern
piano necessitated changes in performance practices.  He spoke for an
hour and a half, playing musical examples on both a Steinway D and his
1830's Gottlieb Hafner Viennese piano (the real thing, not a replica).
He never mentioned tuning, so at the very end, I asked if he ever
varied the tuning of his instrument.  He replied, "I use equal
temperament, and I tune to 430.  When I was playing my Mozart piano, I
used to tune to a Baroque 415.  Some people think I should tune to
440, but if I ever get really good, I'll tune til a quarter-to-five!"

     Still grinning,

                                             Kent Swafford