Rail Cloth

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 17:06:31 -0500

        Who would believe the infinite details that experienced technicians
can disagree on! If you have tried it without using hammer rail cloth, and
disapprove, than I respect your choice. However, may I make just a few
brief points:

1.)     Although the majority of S&S actions leave the factory with hammer
rail cloth, it is not true that they all have, or always did. We have a D
here, for example, from 1964 with original parts (until last year) that had
no rail cloth, and I have also seen others.

2.)     After a year or so under the flanges, do you really think that this
thin felt as any cushion left in it? The ones I see are hard.

3.)     Flange screws that are over tightened will damage flanges with or
without rail cloth.

4.)     Provided the rail itself and the screw threads are good, after a
followup retightening (when needed) these flanges will remain just as
secure as the wippen flanges do.

5.)     The advantages in spacing and traveling have already been mentioned.

6.)     The new flanges from Renner now fit even better.

7.)     Because not doing it saves at least 30 seconds.

                                        Dennis Johnson
                                        St. Olaf College