More FEEDBACK REQUESTED on Paying for Estimates

RndyPotter@aol.com RndyPotter@aol.com
Fri, 01 Dec 1995 20:38:17 -0500

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Larry Fisher wrote:
>      I'm open for comments here.  I'm toying with the idea of mailing the
> annonymous.
>
>      It's only $35, but I'm at odds with the reasoning.  Usually I don't
have

> Larry Fisher 11/11/95

Larry,  I agree with you, that the customer should pay the estimate, and
that you probably put alot more effort into the estimate (travel, time,
knowledge, paperwork) than even $35.  Most customers jump at the chance
to pay $35. because they know you've put more into an estimate than $35.
value.  But I had a similar experience with a player estimate which took
4 hrs. and much paperwork.  Instead of fighting it, I used it as a
learning experience. Now, everyone pays for an estimate; and if they have
the work done later, I often subtract the price of estimate from the
final reconditioning or rebuilding invoice.

Fred Scoles

  At the recent Oregon Day Seminar, the nationally-known technician teaching
for the day said he charges 1-1/2 times the normal tuning fee when providing
an appraisal or estimate - rather than the 1/2 price you are talking about.
  I realized his point, that you do not really know the piano unless you have
touched ALL the tuning pins with your tuning hammer, instead of just a dozen
or so random pins throughout the piano. And you don't know the real condition
of the regulation with just a couple minutes playing it.
  Upon returing home I changed my own schedule. I used to charge $40 for
verticals, $50 for grands, deductible from work performed, if done.

  I used to have people calling for free estimates - and I used to do them.
Until Joe Garrett challenged me to watch the newspaper ads, checking out the
phone numbers of those selling pianos. Sure enough, I learned what he already
knew - about 70% of the people I provided "free repair estimates" for
advertised their pianos for sale without two weeks of my visit. I noticed one
of their last questions often was "by the way, what is this piano worth,
anyway?" So guess what they were selling it for?

  One of the things I have done for years is list "purchase consults,
appraisals and estimates" both in my Yellow Page ad and on my business card.
People generally can figure out that if you are advertising a service, you
are going to charge them for it.
  When they call for advice, I will talk to them for a couple minutes over
the phone, but then inform them of the services I provide and charges for
same - before I get out there and spend hours working up an estimate!

  On a more novel note, though, I have had people suggest over the phone that
charging for providing an estimate or appraisal was inappropriate - that I
should give them an estimate or appraisal for free. "Kind of like the auto
body shop does, when you have a wreck and drive your car in for an
appraisal?", I ask.
  "Yes", they reply.
  Well, I inform them, I will provide the estimate for free, too, if they
bring the piano in to my shop! It usually gets the point across.

Randy Potter