Pulley Keys

Barb Richmond brichmon@titan.iwu.edu
Sun, 03 Dec 1995 12:28:30 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 3 Dec 1995 ZAB5@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone discovered any new methods to treat pulley keys? (How do we spell
> pulley, pullie, pulle, pully--beats me). This is the condition where the
> center rail pin holes in the keys become enlarged causing noise. We've sized
> the holes with diluted glue. Which glue is best? It doesn't always work. Then
> there's the tool which routs out the bottom of the key and an insert is glue
> in. (See APSCO catalog page 23, No. 16201). Do the inserts come in different
> sizes?

In extreme cases where glue sizing or steaming haven't worked, I've used my
handy x-acto saw (it's the right width) to saw a shallow kerf on the
offending end of the balance hole (across the entire width of the key)
and then glued in a veneer shim.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
12 days to go at
Illinois Welseyan University