PTG (was Re: WHY Keep PTG Politics Off This Page?

David & Kathleen Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sun, 03 Dec 1995 12:25:31 -0600

At 04:00 PM 12/2/95 -0700, you wrote:
>It would indeed be a much sadder day for ALL us piano technicians if a group
>of elitist technicians took over as caretakers. Every once in a while a
>cleansing time  seems to needed to evaluate where we have been, where we are,
>and where we are going.
>fredieboy.... (fred weinstein NJ)

Dear Fred,

I do not know what your experiences have been with the PTG.  It appears that
you hold some sort of grudge against us for things that have happened in the
past.  You are welcome to your opinion.

However, from where I am, I see a group of professional piano technicians
who continually strive for the best possible service to the customer while
maintaining a VERY high standard.  The three exams that the PTG offers that
allow one to use the title RPT are that high standard.  I see many expert
technicians who DONATE a lot of time and effort to see that these exams are
administered properly.  I see a lot of Associate Members who are continually
increasing their knowledge and skills.  I have never met an "elitist
technician" in the PTG.  On the other hand, I have seen people who were
extremely friendly and helpful.

Whatever your opinion of the individuals in various positions of the PTG,
remember that they were voted in, so obviously there was enough support for
them when they were elected.  I think it would be very hard to spend many
days and weeks in a year taking care of PTG business, when that keeps them
from tuning and regulating pianos.  I don't know about you, but I love
pianos;  There is noting else I would rather do.

I appreciate the letters by Ernest Juhn and Randy Potter and all of the
others who have said what needs to be said.  Here is my two cents worth.  I
am glad that the PTG only allows RPT members to vote.  I am looking forward
to the time when I will pass my exams and then have the privilege to vote.
Until then, the politics is a distraction to me.

Fred, you are welcome here on Pianotech, but please think before you type!
Whether you are a member of the PTG or not, you are benefiting from your
association with us.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri
Associate Member, Kansas City Chapter PTG